Hetalia: Ultimate Ensemble
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hetalia: Ultimate Ensemble

A collection of Hetalia AU Roleplays

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Serving a Smile (Closed)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Antonio F. Carriedo

Antonio F. Carriedo

Serving a Smile (Closed) Empty
PostSubject: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 4:04 am

Being a waiter was nothing new to Antonio. He had been serving people since he was old enough to hold a job. The money he had made from waiting tables and collecting tips had held him over during that dark time in his life when he had thought his dreams of dancing were over. Even now, being donned in an apron and holding a notepad to take orders reminded Antonio of those days, but he wasn’t upset- not at all. He knew when the hour got late and the club opened its sliding doors, he would be up on stage, doing what he truly loved. He would still need to attend a few practice sessions before he was allowed to perform in the formal show, but he had been given the option to dance solo on his first night as a warmup for the audience. Antonio couldn’t help but feel jittery just thinking about it. Finally on stage again! First, he had to get through the rest of the afternoon and early evening, though.

As much as he loved dancing, being a waiter wasn’t really all that bad, he thought. The pay was decent, and because Antonio was so friendly and attentive, he was usually tipped rather well. What he loved the most, however, was interacting with his customers. He liked hearing about their day, where they were from, how they made a living, what kind of food they liked...everything. It made living by himself a lot less lonely. Of course, he was friendly with the staff too and eager to meet more people who worked here in the club where he was now taking residence. His introduction to his coworkers had been so brief that he was really looking forward to getting to know them better.

The Spaniard arrived early for his shift, waiting downstairs outside the kitchen for the restaurant to open up.
Back to top Go down
Feliciano Vargas

Feliciano Vargas

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Feliciano hummed cheerfully as he made his way to the Thorny Rose. The weather had decided to cooperate for once, allowing sunlight to shine down on him as he walked the streets. An umbrella peeked from underneath his arm, ready in case the weather decided to take a sharp turn in the later hours of the night. Though he much preferred the sun and fluffy, cotton-candy clouds, rain was far more common. Now that he was used to the copious amounts of it, he no longer felt so down when the sky turned gray. Still, he reveled in the sunlight, taking his time as he made his way up the streets. The people he passed gave him odd looks, though he had grown used to those too. He was an Italian in England...an Italian practically skipping along the sidewalk for the few blocks that separated him from his workplace.

All too soon, the club came into view. He stopped skipping, merely walking into the side alleyway that would take him to the employee entrance. He recalled his first trip there after being hired, the alley seeming far more imposing despite lit well and free of dangerous-looking things. His gaze no longer darted from left to right, trying to find suspicious people or objects. Instead, he merely walked into the alley, until he reached the small, nondescript employee entrance. He opened the door and stepped into the green room, a soft sigh escaping his lips. He always felt an odd sense of relief stepping into the club, though usually he encountered nothing odd or disconcerting on his trips there. He shrugged, making his way through the empty room. He never questioned the feeling for long, instead putting his thoughts into the menu and what specials the club would boast for the evening.

A quick hallway later and he found himself in the kitchen, groping for the light switch. The florescent bulbs flickered to life, revealing the pristine countertops and the magnificent appliances. He paused, his gaze taking in everything. No matter how many times he entered the club, he always felt a great sense of amazement settle over him. After another brief moment, he stepped purposefully across the room, grabbing an apron from a peg on the wall. Tying it around his waist, he straightened the white fabric until it covered his nice, but functional clothes. Feliciano enjoyed looking good, but he chose his attire primarily for the kitchen. However, if Arthur asked or needed him to serve food, he could easily blend in with the other servers. After washing his hands, he began to take out pots and pans, resuming his humming from earlier as he prepared the kitchen.

((Sorry I didn't get to this until now, and that it's rather short! Also, if it's odd (like, I missed writing in that Feli had to see Toni before he entered the kitchen or something like that), I can totally edit this! And if it is ever my turn in the posting order and I'm being slow, feel free to poke me via PM ^^'))
Back to top Go down
Antonio F. Carriedo

Antonio F. Carriedo

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 2:28 pm

The dining area was quiet, but Antonio was not standing by the kitchen door long before he began to hear movement within the room and the sounds of pots and pans clanging. The Spaniard turned his head curiously towards the sound of someone humming behind the door. It seemed their chef had arrived. This was one person Antonio had not met yet, and considering how closely they would be working together while he was a server, Antonio thought it best to introduce himself. Pushing the door open, he entered the kitchen and caught sight of the man standing on the other side. He was younger than Antonio had expected, but seemed more than comfortable in his workspace, easily putting everything in its proper place. He wore an apron similar to Antonio’s and seemed like a cheerful type of person, not at all intimidating. Antonio offered his new coworker a friendly smile and greeted him.

“Oh, hello, there! I don’t think we’ve met. I’m the new server here- my name’s Antonio.”

He walked over in the direction of the other, offering him a hand to shake. Hopefully they would get along just fine. Antonio had had both good and bad experiences with chefs in the past. Most were cooperative, but there had been that occasional cook who would get impatient with him when he had to relay a message from a customer who had complained about the food. Antonio was a rather patient man himself, however, and he didn’t mind sorting things out until everyone was happy and satisfied. It was part of what made him good at his job.

Last edited by Antonio F. Carriedo on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Feliciano Vargas

Feliciano Vargas

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Feliciano continued to hum, carefully plunking pots and pans down on the various surfaces in preparation for the night. He was fortunate that the club did not open up for a little while longer, which would give him plenty of time to work on some of his more complex dishes. When he had first stepped through the doors of the Thorny Rose, he had paid good money for food, only to be practically given a heart attack (for more than one reason) by his meal. Though not usually a brave man, he had marched into the kitchen, demanding to see the owner of the establishment to demand his money back (and the chef scolded for sloppy work). In a surprising twist, he had instead been hired. Feliciano had been worried that none of the other cooks would like him, but his anxieties were short-lived. He found that though it took getting used to, the other chefs were all in favor of altering the menu. Now he served both tasty and aesthetically pleasing dishes...and Arthur's increase in prices were finally deserved.

He nearly threw one of the larger pots into the air, letting out a surprised shout as he came face-to-face with another man. His heart raced, and he would have scooted away from the stranger had he not noticed the apron that marked him as a Thorny Rose employee. His hands shook as he turned to place the pot on the counter. Feliciano knew the club owner often hired new people, and that the staff were numerous enough that he had not necessarily met all of them. But as the club's chef, Feliciano knew most of them (as well as what they liked to eat). Food was, after all, one of those magical things that brought people together. But he definitely did not recognize this man, though the apron marked him as either a new chef or a new server. He tried to swallow his nervousness, now lingering moreso because the man was still a stranger rather than because he was still startled.

“Oh, hello, there! I don’t think we’ve met. I’m the new server here- my name’s Antonio.”

He felt himself relaxing as the man--Antonio--spoke to him, a natural and friendly smile returning to light up his face. He could see now why Arthur would choose him; Antonio was naturally friendly and his mannerisms could put anyone at ease. Antonio would definitely need that skill as a server, though Feliciano had no doubt he would do an excellent job. He waited until Antonio had crossed the room, then took his hand and shook it vigorously. He wanted Antonio to know he was friendly, and that his reaction mere moments ago was not how he would act towards him in the future. Feliciano had always been a bit jumpy, though he was far worse when he was alone as opposed to when the kitchen was full of other chefs and the sounds of cooking.

"Ciao Antonio! It's really nice to meet you! My name is Feliciano, and I'm the chef here!" He continued to shake Antonio's hand, then finally released him after another moment. "I guess Arthur would consider me the head chef, but I don't really think I fit that title since everyone here does lots of work too. But I put together the menu and make sure everything runs smoothly, so I guess I am like the head chef!" He laughed, the sound bouncing merrily around the kitchen. "It's really great to meet you, I always love meeting the servers since we have to work together to make the customers happy and if you ever need anything you can always come and talk to me I'm not as familiar with the dance and performance things here in the club since I spend my time in the kitchen but I do get to see everyone else and cook for them too everyone needs to be well fed after all!" He babbled animatedly, waving his hands as he spoke. The other chefs had become used to his rambling, and had made sure not to leave any sharp objects around him when he started briefing new hires on how the kitchen operated.

"It's still a little early right now but if you have any questions I can really try to answer or maybe you just want to talk I really don't mind!" As he spoke, he moved to the sink, washing his hands again before beginning to open and close drawers. "Are you hungry? I can cook something for you right now so that you'll have plenty of energy for later!" He found the correct spoon, shutting the drawer and heading for the refrigerators and freezers lining the wall. He opened one of the massive, metal doors, pulling out ingredients and setting them on an empty cart. He often started his day cooking for Arthur, since the blond had no decent food (except tea) unless he was there to make him something. If there were leftovers from the night before, he always pointed them out to the blond, though he suspected that Arthur still stubbornly cooked for himself on occasion. He never commented on it, figuring that he would only do so if he happened to walk in on a disorderly kitchen.
Back to top Go down
Antonio F. Carriedo

Antonio F. Carriedo

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Antonio’s heart was still thumping rapidly in his chest from the moment he had heard the chef’s surprised shout. He had jumped a little, but hadn’t worried too much about it, assuming the other had only been startled and just needed a moment to realize that Antonio was actually supposed to be there. The server felt a little bad for having scared him. He did his best to appear friendly so the other wouldn’t be too shy around him, and he smiled pleasantly when the chef shook his hand and started speaking to him. Wow, the man could really talk! Antonio did his best to keep up with him. English wasn’t his first language, but he had studied it long enough to understand almost everything that was commonly said to him. He learned the chef’s name was Feliciano and that he was the one in charge of the kitchen. Antonio was really glad to meet him, knowing he’d be working closely with the other from now on. He didn’t find much of an opportunity to respond while Feliciano continued speaking. It seemed the chef, who Antonio guessed was Italian by his accent and name, barely even stopped for a breath. The Spanish man just nodded in response, keeping the same happy smile on his face, and he raised his eyebrows a little in surprise when the other offered him food. None of the chefs at the other restaurants he had worked at before had ever done that for him.

“Really? Is it really okay?” Antonio questioned. It was still early enough before the dining area opened, but he was a bit worried about how long it would take to cook something and more than that, the trouble he would be putting the other through in asking him to prepare a meal before the real work was supposed to start. Still, if he had to admit it, he was really quite hungry. “I wouldn’t mind something quick, if it’s not too much trouble. I...haven’t really had much to eat today.”

The thought of food made Antonio’s stomach grumble a little. He was still adjusting to his new living situation and hadn’t really had a time to stock up the fridge in the little room his new employer, Arthur, had given him upstairs. He would probably need to wait for his first paycheck before buying anything fancy. Antonio had been living on the basics the last couple of months while he had searched for a new job, staying at a hotel and having no choice but to pay day by day, since he hadn’t been able to afford rent. Now that he had more affordable accommodations and not one, but two jobs with the shortest possible commute, he had a feeling things were going to start getting a lot better for him. He was still very grateful for the offer of a free meal until then.
Back to top Go down
Feliciano Vargas

Feliciano Vargas

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 4:09 am

Feliciano laughed at Antonio's first question, the sound accompanying the banging of pots and pans as he paused in front of various cupboards and added the dishes to the counters. Most professional chefs would consider his method of cooking (or prep work) completely unorthodox, disorderly, and counterproductive to his work. But Feliciano knew exactly what he was doing, though his initial preparations might appear to be rather random. He had explained to the other cooks that he liked having as much out as possible, though in truth, Feliciano simply wanted to know where everything was as he cooked. He could not be in the kitchen at all times, and although he asked the workers to put things back in their proper places (for both his sake and Arthur's), he always managed to find something out of order.

He pushed the cart back to where he had left Antonio standing. "Si, of course! I'd be happy to cook something for you!" He stopped the cart by the stove, removing several items from its surface. "I always start cooking a little early, in case any of the other employees come in and are hungry from their other jobs!" He began filling a large pot with water, then lifted it with ease and set it on the stove. Feliciano hummed happily as without looking, he plucked a few tomatoes from the top of the cart. "Also, don't tell Arthur I said this, but his cooking is terrible, so I always make something for him to eat when I'm not around to cook for him!" He spoke the last bit slightly quieter than the rest of his bubbly speech, not wanting the club's notoriously grumpy owner to overhear. Of course, as far as Feliciano knew, Arthur was still in his apartment, and he wouldn't glimpse the blond until later that evening when the club opened its doors to the late-night clientele.

'I'll have to try to remember to ask Arthur if he needs me to make him some extra meals again...if I even see him tonight.' He rarely missed the sight of the club's owner in the kitchen, though he knew Arthur was truly a busy man and trusted him to take care of food-related matters. Feliciano rarely had anything that needed Arthur's immediate attention, save for the occasional approval for his menu choices or the grocery lists. Other than that, Feliciano felt that Arthur allowed him much freedom in the kitchen. The Italian was thankful for that; the freedom allowed him to keep stock of what they had, as well as to come up with the specials for the night without having to arrive hours early. The more he took care of, the less Arthur ultimately had to do...which meant that the blond wouldn't attempt to cook again!

He gently set the tomatoes down on a wooden cutting board. He frowned slightly as the other man's stomach growled, his gaze shining with worry as he gave Antonio a quick once over. The handsome man (a good fit for the club!) was not thin, but Feliciano believed that everyone could always find room for good food! "Ve, well...I can honestly whip up anything really quickly, Antonio...do you have a favorite food? I might not know how to make it right now, but I'll try to learn and make it for you someday!" He grabbed other foods from the cart, plunking potatoes, onions, and other seemingly random foods down onto and into various dishes and bowls.

((I'm sorry this is so much shorter than usual D: My brain is just coming to terms with the fact that I am on summer break...and so it is somewhere between mush and extremely happy XD))
Back to top Go down
Antonio F. Carriedo

Antonio F. Carriedo

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 4:17 pm

“Well, thank you very much!” Antonio replied, feeling very lucky. “It’s really nice of you.”

He watched the chef move about the kitchen, grabbing ingredients and supplies as he prepared the meal. The Spanish man was really touched that Feliciano cared so much about the well-being of the employees. He was sure the other workers here appreciated it, too, but Antonio was especially grateful since he had rarely had the opportunity to be treated to good food. His diet the past few weeks had consisted mostly of fast or frozen food. He hadn’t been able to afford to go to better restaurants, and the hotel’s limited space and tiny refrigerator meant that he had been forced to go shopping almost every other day. He was happy that the apartment he had been given on the second floor of the club was more accommodating, at least.

He listened with interest as Feliciano talked about preparing food for Arthur. Antonio had seen very little of his new boss since his interview and introduction to the Thorny Rose. He seemed like someone who mostly kept to himself, but it was too soon for the Spaniard to really know anything about him. Well, according to Feliciano at least, he couldn’t cook very well. Antonio smiled, amused. It must be nice to run a restaurant and not have to worry about going out to get more food all the time. This kitchen for sure was never empty.

The tomatoes caught Antonio’s attention as Feliciano set them down on the cutting board. Antonio loved the red fruits with a passion and of course, anything cooked with them. He was very happy to see that the chef would be using them in the dish he was preparing. At Feliciano’s question, Antonio hummed and crossed his arms, thinking.

“I’m not very picky. I love all kinds of Spanish and Italian food. I guess if I had to pick a ‘favorite,’ it would probably be paella, but that takes much too long to make.” Not to mention it’s expensive, Antonio thought. The saffron alone was terribly overpriced, and there were plenty of other ingredients that went into the dish, making the preparation far from quick, even for a skilled cook. Antonio had rarely had the chance to make it himself- both because his previous jobs had taken up all of his time and also because more often than not, he hadn’t been earning enough to justify the splurge. The only time he had really gotten to enjoy such a pricey dish regularly had been back when he had been dating Francis. The Frenchman had refused to settle for anything less than the finest food, and he and Antonio had frequented a local Spanish restaurant to enjoy the paella and tapas there. The Spaniard sighed wistfully. This was no time to dwell on the past when he his luck had finally changed again. How fortunate to be working somewhere with free food!

“I like pasta and spicy sausages too,” Antonio put in helpfully after a pause. “What about you, Feliciano? Do you like the food you cook here?” It was true that restaurant workers often got tired of the same kind of food if they had to eat it all the time, no matter how good it was. He wondered how highly the chef thought of his own cooking and whether he approved of the restaurant’s menu.

(Congrats with finishing your school year! Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Feliciano Vargas

Feliciano Vargas

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 12:18 am

Feliciano beamed at Antonio, beginning to work on the tomatoes. Several dishes popped into his head, but he wanted to hear what Antonio liked to eat. Perhaps if it wasn't complicated, he could make it for him. He was glad that Antonio had taken the time to come and meet him. He enjoyed getting to know the other members of the staff, especially those he would be working closely with. Feliciano felt certain that Antonio would be wonderful at his job. The man seemed to smile easily, which was always a plus with customers. Feliciano on rare occasion would fill in as a server, and from his few nights on the floor he knew how difficult Antonio's job would be. He doubted though that Arthur would have hired someone not cut out for the job. He had glimpsed the blond in a serving apron once, though he had not asked what had prompted Arthur to join them on the floor. He supposed it was good that their boss took the time to get to know the ins and outs of their individual jobs, though Feliciano would have loved to talk to him more often than the rare glimpses of each other before, during, or after hours.

"Ve, well at first the food here was terrible! I took one bite of what was supposed to be pasta and it was the worst pasta I had ever eaten! I guess I'm a bit picky when it comes to food, but whoever was cooking managed to burn pasta. I've never seen anyone burn pasta, especially when they are just boiling it in water!" He shuddered, remembering that time all too vividly. However, he also remembered it with fondness, since the subsequent encounter with Arthur had gotten him his current job. "I asked to see the man working in the kitchen and then the owner, and when I told him his food was terrible he wasn't very happy. But what terrified me the most was what I found the owner eating! It was this horrible, blackened thing that he swore was just toasted cheese...but it wasn't!" His voice had risen in pitch as he recounted the story, though his hands had not stopped their rhythmic chopping of the tomatoes. "I think he was going to throw me out or maybe tell me not to ever come back but then I told him that he couldn't eat like that because it wasn't good for him. I grabbed some ingredients and made him a simple pasta dish. I guess I impressed him a lot because he fired his last chef and hired me." He laughed, pausing in his cutting so that the pieces beneath the knife did not become uneven.

"To be honest, I just liked cooking. I'm not a chef from a fancy school, or even someone who has worked at other places. I just like cooking, and I guess I just figure out what goes well together. But I've practiced and created tons of new items for the menu since then. The menu is something I made...after I saw what the club was serving, I just couldn't leave it the way it was. Now that the food is better, the prices have gone up a bit, but people don't complain about the menu." Feliciano knew he was far from perfect, and that on rare occasions the kitchen received a complaint or two. Since he could not have a hand in every dish (and even in his own, he could not be perfect), he knew that mistakes could be made. He always took care of the customers though, offering them discounts on their meals or drinks, or if he felt he could not adequately handle the situation (an even rarer occurrence), he would call Arthur.

He smiled as Antonio named his favorite food. Paella did take some time to make, so he couldn't pull the dish together for the Spaniard now. But he made a small note for himself to make some for Antonio later. Hopefully, he would like it...or at least give Feliciano some pointers on how to make it better for the future. "Ve, it does take awhile to make...but that's okay! I can always make some for you for later, and make you something quick right now. It's not good to perform on an empty stomach anyway, si?" He laughed, the sound bouncing around the kitchen as he continued his work. "I can always make food and have it waiting for you whenever you get the chance. I promise though sometime I will make you paella!" He gave Antonio a smile as he began layering the tomatoes with basil. He had planned on making a few lighter foods, in case any of the other performers had forgotten (or been unable) to eat beforehand. Light foods were better for them, especially the dancers.

He popped his creation into the oven, then turned to face Antonio. "Si! I love the food I cook here, though I guess it's because most to all of the food I cook here is food I like. I do sometimes have to cook foods for Arthur that I personally don't like...and I'm always unsure whether I'm very good at those. But Arthur seems to like them, so I guess that's a good thing. I also occasionally take special orders...things that aren't on the menu...mostly for high-paying clients. I'm always nervous about making those dishes too, but no one has complained about it yet!" He might not have been the world's greatest chef...or even a true chef, but Feliciano put all of his effort into making the food both delicious and aesthetically pleasing. "I try to make something really light to start with, and then when the others arrive I tend to start working on the bigger main courses since I'll have more help. But I was thinking of making a nice pasta dish before everyone arrives, since I think Arthur has been living on sandwiches for the last few days." The depletion of bread was his first clue, though he suspected Arthur also had attempted toast as well. "But don't tell him I said that...he really thinks he's a good cook." He whispered the last part, glancing around the kitchen as if their boss would materialize from within the cookware. "But more importantly, I want to make something for you to eat!"

He set to work, putting a large pot of water on to boil. The pasta pot looked large enough to feed an army, rather than the few people he was likely to feed in the next hour. He grabbed a few more items off the cart, chopping them with ease and humming softly to himself. Once he had accomplished his task, one that only took a few minutes, he reached for the flour. Feliciano made his own pasta, which made the nights he happened to make the dishes all the better. When he was not the chef, the noodles were always dried, but he refused to touch them unless absolutely necessary.
Back to top Go down
Antonio F. Carriedo

Antonio F. Carriedo

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Antonio nodded in response, listening to Feliciano as he watched the other prepare the food with well-practiced ease. Burnt pasta?! It was hard to imagine someone messing up a meal that horribly. Cooking was a very useful skill to have, he thought. He didn’t consider himself particularly good at it himself, but he could make a couple decent dishes, when he had the time and could afford the ingredients. He had never considered what the consequences of being a bad cook would be. With so many pre-prepared dishes, having cooking skills didn’t seem vital to survival, but it certainly helped people eat cheaper and healthier. Antonio thought Feliciano was very lucky to be skilled enough at it to be given a job just from one demonstration. He looked forward to tasting what the chef would prepare. At the promise of paella, the server smiled gratefully.

“Thank you so much! I’m sure with your skills, it will be fantastic. It’s been a long time since I’ve had paella, but my own recipe isn’t as good as the ones I’ve tasted in some of the restaurants,” he admitted sheepishly. “But pasta does sound really good right now. I love any kind of tomato sauce...pesto and alfredo are tasty, too, though!”

Oh, he was making his own mouth water just thinking about it. The pasta he was used to having was just the quick kind, with sauce that simply came from a jar. When he had been working so many hours, he just hadn’t had the time to put into the preparation of a higher quality dish. The most effort he had put into it had been adding ground beef or meatballs to treat himself. He wasn’t sure exactly what kind of pasta Feliciano would make, but he was sure it would be better than that.

Antonio was glad that the chef was so friendly. He had had bad experiences with the cooks at the other restaurants who had treated him unkindly. Most were just impatient, but some had been downright rude, especially during the time when Antonio’s English hadn’t been as good and the Spaniard had been more prone to making mistakes. He remembered one man in particular who would always talk down to him and make him feel very stupid. He would give Antonio extremely hot plates of food to take to the customers and laugh at him or scold him when the waiter burned himself. He had also refused to compensate any customer who was unhappy with a dish he had made. This had led to arguments between the two of them, the customer, and his boss until finally, Antonio had quit out of exasperation. Fortunately he hadn’t had to work with anyone quite as horrible since. He could already tell he and Feliciano were going to get along just fine.

“Can I help you with something, maybe?” he asked. “I’m not a chef, but you don’t have to do it all on your own. I have a little bit of time before my shift still.”

He wasn’t sure how much he could help before he needed to get out there and start serving, but he felt guilty leaving the chef alone to prepare food for the employees when Antonio was getting a free meal out of it. The least he could do was help the process go a little faster. He didn’t want to get in the way, however, so he waited for Feliciano’s response before moving towards the counter.
Back to top Go down
Feliciano Vargas

Feliciano Vargas

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Feliciano listened to Antonio as his hands began working the flour. He had decided what he would make, and he hoped that everyone would like it. He kneaded the dough quickly, rolling and pinching it between his fingers. Of all the foods he cooked, he was most skilled with pasta. He resolved that he would make paella for Antonio later, though he would need to do some shopping first. Usually, Arthur shopped for any of the supplies and food items needed for the club, but on some occasions, Feliciano liked to go himself. Arthur's prudent nature made certain the club's kitchen was well stocked with the best ingredients for the most reasonable price. Feliciano would not trust the blond near the stove, but he trusted Arthur's shopping one-hundred percent. Sometimes however, Feliciano required something that only he could be certain was right when he saw it. He still took price into consideration, though he occasionally had to endure a reprimand from Arthur about his spending habits.

"Ve, you're really kind, Antonio." He laughed lightly as he began to roll out the dough. "I hope that I can make all of those things for you. If you want, I can always make you extra for later too! I know the kitchen will be here but I never know how Arthur feels about other people using it, and besides you probably don't want to use it after Arthur has! He's good at making tea, at least I think he is. I'm not really a big fan of tea, but I also heard he's really good at mixing drinks too. I've never tried anything he's made, but I heard from one of the bartenders he wouldn't hire someone because they couldn't make his favorite drink. Isn't that crazy?" He laughed, the sound bouncing merrily through the open kitchen. He did not know whether the rumors were actually true or not, but Feliciano would not put it past Arthur to be choosy about his employees.

The memory of Arthur's cooking fiasco sent a shudder through him. He still could not believe that someone could overcook food so badly, though he had long since forgiven Arthur (and essentially taken over making his meals). "Si, Arthur is not the best cook...but he is good to his employees. I know you'll like working for him, and even if he acts unhappy he really isn't. I think he really cares about everyone here." He finished rolling out the dough, shaping the pasta by hand as he spoke. Feliciano was not the most adept at reading the atmosphere, but that did not mean he did not recognize genuine care. He had at one time considered that perhaps Arthur had hired him simply because he could cook better than the blond, but had dismissed the thought immediately afterwards. One mistaken bad reaction to Arthur's 'scones' (he thought they were decorations) had taught him the sensitivity of the subject and how proud Arthur was of his own (supposed) 'skills'.

He blinked in surprise as Antonio offered to help him. Usually, the other employees were too busy preparing for their own shifts or had no interest in the kitchen (other than for food or to talk to him, of course). "Ve..." He thought for a moment, glancing around at the ingredients. He still needed to finish making the sauce, and the noodles only needed to cook. "Ah, I know! If you'd like, I could use some help with the sauce. The ingredients are all ready to go in the pot, but they have to go in a certain order, but everything is there already." He gestured to the chopping board with one of his flour-coated hands. "I just need to put the noodles in the water and then wait, but once the sauce is done we could work on a light dessert or something as well." The entire meal would be good for the performers. The pasta contained carbohydrates for energy; the tomatoes and vegetables made the sauce light and healthy; even the dessert and appetizers would be light enough but filled with things that promoted energy.

((I'M SO SORRY THIS IS SO LATE! D: *sobs into* Please forgive me...and don't hesitate to poke me again if I take so long again! D: ))
Back to top Go down
Antonio F. Carriedo

Antonio F. Carriedo

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 4:24 am

Antonio nodded, taking a step over to the stove to look at the ingredients on the chopping board. He could see the pot Feliciano was talking about, but he wasn’t sure exactly what he wanted him to do.

“A certain order?” he repeated. “So...what should go in first? Do I need to turn the stove on?”

Even if Antonio was more or less a capable cook, he was worried about messing up this sauce if Feliciano had a specific procedure for making it. He felt like he was being more of a burden than a help by asking for guidance, but at least the chef could tell him what to do while he did something else and leave Antonio to it. The Spaniard imagined Feliciano was used to multitasking. He had more appreciation for the chef now that he thought about how much the other had to coordinate in order to get everything prepared and delivered to the right customer. Antonio had always spent more time out on the floor than in the kitchen, so he didn’t really know the details about what went on. Did the cooks make bigger portions when they knew a dish was going to be popular enough to be ordered multiple times while it was still fresh? Or did they wait for a certain number of orders before cooking? Was it possible they made them one by one? There were quite a few questions swimming around Antonio’s mind, but it seemed like the wrong time to ask them. First he would focus on helping Feliciano make this sauce. He was sure he would learn the mechanics of this part of the restaurant soon enough through simple observation.

“Sorry, I’m afraid I haven’t really done this before. Most of my sauce comes out of a can, you see,” he admitted sheepishly. He was careful to follow Feliciano’s instructions though, and finally, the ingredients in the pot before him started to look and smell like a restaurant-quality sauce. He looked to Feliciano proudly as the sweet scent of tomato and herbs spread throughout the kitchen. “I think it’s almost done!” Antonio’s mouth was watering by now. His stomach gurgled in interest, reminding him that he was more than ready to sit down with his plate of pasta and start eating. First he waited for Feliciano’s instructions, however, in case there was anything else he wanted him to do.
Back to top Go down
Feliciano Vargas

Feliciano Vargas

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 11:53 pm

Feliciano paused in his work, then carefully wiped his flour-coated hands on a towel. He had reached a good stopping point with the pasta and had realized he had not given Antonio very specific instructions. He took a glance over at the stove, re-familiarizing himself with the ingredients he had set out for the sauce before turning to face Antonio. He felt a little bad for simply tasking the Spaniard with the making of the sauce without proper instruction, though he had done so in such a way merely out of habit. He could normally set his workers loose in the kitchen, their experience generally enough to guarantee a dish cooked to perfection (with few exceptions). Of course, Antonio was not one of his usual staff, and the Spaniard himself had mentioned being unused to cooking such things. Feliciano felt guilty for forgetting, especially after Antonio had practically admitted his inexperience to him only a few minutes prior! Quickly, he made his way over to the stove, giving his hands one more wipe on his apron for good measure.

"Ve, I'm so sorry Antonio! I know you just told me you haven't cooked like this before and here I am telling you to make the sauce and then making you nervous by telling you things have to go into the pot in a certain order I didn't mean to forget I guess I just slipped into my own thoughts like I sometimes do while working with food!" He gave a nervous laugh, waving his flour-free hands in front of him as he spoke. The motions calmed him, and when Antonio did not immediately start shouting, he gave the Spaniard a reassuring smile. "Si, there is a specific order, but it is less scary than it sounds. And even if you don't get the order perfectly, the sauce will still taste wonderful. The order gives certain ingredients time to blend with each other a little more before adding in the next, and I've heard it takes a master chef years to get it just right! I guess I'm really lucky to have figured it out on my own...I guess you could say I have a sixth sense for food or something like that!" He laughed again, this one more relaxed than the first.

"Si, first we'll want to turn on the stove. But before you do that..." He moved to the ingredients, taking a moment to rearrange them on the cutting board for Antonio. He hummed softly as he worked, and once complete, he stepped back to double-check his work. Satisfied, he turned to Antonio once more. "I think this will make it easier for you. I put everything in order..." Here, he gestured to the cutting board, sweeping his hand from left to right. "...so it will be easier. I know under pressure I wouldn't really like it if someone started shouting ingredients at me, not that I'd ever shout at you unless we were too far away to talk normally of course!" He clicked on the stove, making sure to click on the second burner for the pasta pot. "I also have the water on to boil for the pasta." He knew Antonio might have noticed, but he always informed his coworkers when the stoves and ovens were hot. He felt safer, and that made cooking more enjoyable.

He gave Antonio a reassuring smile. "Ve, I understand. Growing up, I spent as much time in the kitchen as I could trying to teach myself to cook. Then...well, I ended up moving out and didn't have so many ingredients to use. But now that I do, I always try to make sure they are the best, because the customers and employees and Arthur deserve the best." He laughed lightly before returning to retrieve the pasta, adding it to the pot as he finished the last of the noodles. As he stood at the stove, stirring the noodles, he began to smell the ingredients blending together perfectly. Antonio had done a magnificent job with the sauce, and he couldn't wait for the Spaniard to taste it. "It smells wonderful, Antonio!" Struck with an idea, Feliciano quickly made his way across the kitchen into the food storage area. He grabbed a loaf of bread and raced back to where Antonio stood. He broke off a piece, smiling as the crust crinkled beneath his fingers. It was the perfect sort of bread to serve with pasta, but this piece was for tasting. He took the spoon from Antonio, carefully settling some of the sauce onto the bread before holding the piece out to the Spaniard. "It smells so delicious, it would be wrong of us not to taste it to make sure it's perfect, si?"
Back to top Go down
Antonio F. Carriedo

Antonio F. Carriedo

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Antonio was grateful for Feliciano’s help and guidance, even if his rapid words went over his head at times. The Spaniard may have been adept in English, but it still wasn’t his first language, and he rarely spoke to someone who talked like the Italian. He smiled a bit, amused by all the hand gestures as he watched them in interest.

As the tempting aroma of their sauce filled the kitchen, Antonio’s mouth continued to water. He couldn’t wait to taste this creation and was happy when the chef offered him a piece of bread to sample it on.

“I agree...Thank you!” he replied and took the sauce-covered piece, bringing it to his mouth for a bite. Flavor burst over his tongue, and Antonio gave a content hum, savoring it. “Oh- it’s so good!” Of course, it helped that he was so hungry at the moment. Almost anything would have tasted great, but this sauce was certainly above average. The server finished off the rest of his bread and gave a nod of approval. “I love it. I don’t think it needs anything else, do you?”

Antonio couldn’t wait to have a nice bowl of pasta, but he wasn’t sure if the sauce was up to Feliciano’s standards yet. If there was any way it could be improved even further, the chef would certainly know. He was the expert, after all.  

Antonio took a peek at the noodles the other man had been preparing. He knew Feliciano had mentioned dessert, too, but the server was getting a bit nervous about finishing his quick meal in time to start his shift. Maybe if it was something simple, that would be okay, but otherwise, he might have to pass on it for now.

“I have about twenty minutes left,” Antonio informed him as he glanced at his watch. “Did you need me to do anything else?”

He didn’t want to rush the other, but if he was going to have enough time to eat before his shift, he would have to do it soon. It wouldn’t look good if he slacked off on the first day. The rumbling of his stomach reminded Antonio that he had other motives for wanting to fill up on the delicious-smelling pasta. It would give him the energy he needed to do his best, and a full belly always made being nice to customers all the more easier.
Back to top Go down
Feliciano Vargas

Feliciano Vargas

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Feliciano beamed happily as Antonio tried the sauce, relaxing almost minutely at the pleased hum that came from the man's lips. He had worried that Antonio would find some fault in the sauce, or that perhaps he might have unknowingly added something that the Spaniard despised. Feliciano had made a variety of sauces, and although Antonio had not expressed a dislike for anything in particular, he could have easily modified his recipe to include something more pleasing to Antonio's tastes. But the Spaniard clearly liked the sauce, though Feliciano knew he would love it more over a piping hot bowl of the pasta. Absently, he stirred the spoon around the sauce, waiting to hear Antonio's assessment (though he already had a good idea of what the Spaniard would say). When Antonio gave his approval, Feliciano took the spoon and another piece of bread for himself. He blew a little on the bread before taking a bite, a small hum of approval escaping his lips. "Ve, I think it's perfect, Antonio! You're a natural at this, and I would love to have your help in the kitchen anytime!" He finished off his bread, leaning to give the Spaniard a hug.

Antonio's reminder of his time constraints made the Italian's eyes widen momentarily in worry. Had he kept him waiting too long? Would Antonio have enough time to digest his food before his shift started? He certainly couldn't allow the man to serve tables on an empty stomach (the torture!), but he couldn't well send him out only to have him become sick. Arthur would never forgive him, partially for making one of his servers-and-performers ill and partially for wasting food. The latter Feliciano knew Arthur would inevitably let go, since he was not likely to attempt to hire another chef (or worse, cook himself). The former however, Feliciano was certain would earn him more than just a scolding and a minor dock in pay. He stole a glance at the large clock in the kitchen, noting the time and relaxing a little. Luckily, everything was ready, and unless Antonio was a hearty eater (Alfred came to mind), the Italian knew he would have enough time to digest everything. Feliciano also had plans to give the Spaniard anything left over, since the man clearly was not eating properly at present.

"Ve, don't worry! Let me just plate the pasta and sauce, then we can take some bread and the meal will be ready. If you're hungry for dessert, I don't think I have time to whip up something super fancy...but I do have some cookies I baked recently, or I'm positive there is ice cream in the freezer." Feliciano hoped that his dessert choices were decent, though he felt a little guilty that he could not bake or make something a bit fancier for the Spaniard. "Oh, and I'll make sure to pack up the leftovers for you, so make sure you stop by before you go back to your apartment to pick them up. That way you'll have something to eat for later, si?" He smiled, moving to plate the pasta and bread before handing one of the plates to Antonio. Taking his own plate, he made his way to one of the many islands that dotted the kitchen. He pulled out one of the stools with his foot, humming as he set his plate down on the shiny surface. He beckoned for Antonio to do the same, knowing the island would be more comfortable than standing around and less disruptive than going out onto the main floor.

He took his first bite of pasta, humming again as the flavors blended perfectly. 'Ve, pasta is always so delicious...I could eat pasta every single day and never get tired of it!' He took some of his bread, soaking up some of the excess sauce and eating it. Out of the corner of his eye, he watched Antonio eating, tempted to strike up a new conversation. But a quick glance at the clock reminded him that soon he too would need to begin preparing for the start of his shift. Arthur might have been the worst cook Feliciano had ever met, but the man demanded that his kitchen was always both spotless and primed for the club's customers. Still, the Italian refused to rush Antonio, and even after he left he knew he would have plenty of time to tidy up. As long as none of his cooks called in sick, the rest of the staff would arrive within the next hour to help, which would greatly speed up the process. He had been unfortunate enough to work several nights understaffed or with last-minute spare performers or servers as cooks, so although he occasionally felt irked by various little things, he fully appreciated the staff provided to him by Arthur. He continued to eat his pasta, occasionally sighing happily or sending a smile Antonio's way. He could already tell the two would easily get along.
Back to top Go down
Antonio F. Carriedo

Antonio F. Carriedo

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Antonio was a bit surprised to receive a hug from Feliciano. No one except a few close friends had ever embraced him since he had moved to England, and he hadn’t even known the chef that long. Still, given his nature, Antonio could see Feliciano was not shy about being affectionate towards people, and the Spaniard was never one to turn down such a nice gesture. He returned the hug warmly, thanking the Italian. “I’m always happy to lend a hand, Feli.”

He was grateful for Feliciano’s kind offer to give him some dessert that had already been prepared and to save him some leftover pasta. Antonio knew he could certainly use it later, and it saved him the trouble of having to cook more for himself or spend money on food while he was still adjusting to his new situation. “Si...thank you so much! I would love some cookies later. Though maybe I’ll wait until my shift is over if that’s okay.” It would keep him from getting overstuffed and also give him something to look forward to when his work was done.

He took the plate of pasta Feliciano offered him and followed the chef over to the island, where he claimed his own stool. Antonio’s mouth was watering in anticipation as the delicious aroma of the pasta drifted up from the plate he held. Once he had a fork in his hand, he wasted no time. Antonio’s first bites were a bit rushed, causing him to burn his tongue slightly, but once he had gotten over his initial desire just to taste the food before him, he was able to slow down and savor it.
“Mm…increíble! You really are the best at what you do,” he told his coworker before continuing to inhale his dinner. The Spaniard couldn’t seem to get enough, especially given how famished he had felt before. He didn’t speak much more until every noodle had disappeared from his plate.

When he had finished, Antonio gave a satisfied sigh and leaned back, licking the last of the sauce from his lips. He was full, but not bursting to the point of feeling sick, even with the nervousness of his first day on the job twisting in his belly. At least he would be able to give his sincere recommendation when the customers asked him for his opinion on the food. Maybe Feliciano would even let him try some of the dishes on the menu so he could explain them with a bit more expertise.

“Thank you very much for dinner,” he told the Italian. “I should go out now and wait for the first customers...I’m sure I’ll be seeing you plenty in the next few hours, though!”

With that, he took his plate back to the sink and rinsed it, putting it in the dishwasher. He adjusted his apron and double-checked that he had his notepad and miniature copy of the menu (though really, he had memorized the entire thing already). Finally, it was time to go out onto the floor of the restaurant and get to work.

(I'm sorry for taking forever on this post, Feli! ;o; *begs forgiveness* I'm happy to be RPing with you again, though~ Maybe we're at a good point to invite Lovi into this thread?)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serving a Smile (Closed)   Serving a Smile (Closed) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Serving a Smile (Closed)
Page 1 of 1